Just about everyone loves fried cheese sticks. Our version gets a punch of heat from cayenne pepper and cheese spiced with jalapeños. To tame the heat, use plan Monterey Jack (without the peppers), mozzarella or Swiss cheese and either leave out the cayenne pepper or use less of it.
- 2 (8-oz.) pkgs. Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeno peppers
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 4 eggs, beaten
- Oil for deep frying
- Optional: marinara sauce
- Cut cheese crosswise into 3/4-inch slices. Lay slices flat and cut in half lengthwise.
- Combine flour and cayenne pepper; stir well. Combine bread crumbs and parsley in another bowl; stir well. Dip cheese sticks in beaten eggs. Dredge in flour mixture. Dip coated cheese in egg again; dredge in bread crumb mixture, pressing firmly so that crumbs adhere. Place cheese sticks on a wax paper-lined baking sheet and freeze at least 30 minutes.
- Heat 2 inches of oil in a Dutch oven to 375°. Fry cheese sticks until golden. Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately with marinara sauce, if desired.