Photo: Jennifer Causey; Styling: Mindi Shapiro Levine
This speedy vegetarian entrée is absolutely bursting with peak-season produce. We suggest serving the cakes with an herby white bean and arugula salad.
Serves 4 (serving size: 2 corn cakes and about 1/4 cup salsa)
1. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup. Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl.
2. Combine sour cream, eggs, and 1 tablespoon oil in a bowl, stirring until smooth. Add sour cream mixture, corn, and jalapeño to flour mixture; stir just until combined.
3. Heat a large nonstick griddle over medium-high heat.
4. Divide corn mixture into 8 equal portions (about 1/3 cup each); shape into patties. Add patties to griddle; cook 6 minutes on each side.
5. Combine squash, green onions, basil, vinegar, tomato, remaining 1 tablespoon oil, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a bowl; toss. Place 2 corn cakes on each of 4 plates; top evenly with salsa.