Free-Form Lasagna is assembled on individual plates instead of a casserole dish. This Free-Form Lasagna recipe is an easy and tasty weeknight dinner option that will put smiles on your kids' faces. Skip a step and save prep time by using no-boil lasagna noodles.
- 8 ounces sweet or hot Italian sausage, removed from casing
- 1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups ricotta (not nonfat)
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 12 lasagna noodles, each broken in half
- 1. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
- 2. Cook sausage in a skillet over medium-high heat, breaking up large pieces, until it loses its pink color, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, oregano and 1/2 tsp. salt, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until thick, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
- 3. Combine ricotta, Parmesan and basil in a medium microwave-safe bowl.
- 4. Add noodles to boiling water; cook until just tender, 10 minutes or as package label directs. Just before noodles are done, microwave ricotta mixture on high for 30 seconds, stirring once. Drain noodles well.
- 5. Spread 1 1/2 Tbsp. sauce on each of 4 dinner plates. Place a noodle on top and spread with 1 1/2 Tbsp. cheese mixture. Top with 1 1/2 Tbsp. sauce. Repeat with noodles, cheese mixture and sauce, ending with a layer of sauce. Sprinkle Parmesan on top. Serve, passing additional Parmesan.
- Calories: 567
- Fat: 28g
- Saturated fat: 14g
- Protein: 30g
- Carbohydrate: 48g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 77mg
- Sodium: 1194mg