Layer a spicy ground beef mixture with kidney beans, olives, cheese and corn chips and bake for a main dish casserole that will satisfy the heartiest of appetites. It’s a great choice for both your game-day crowd and your family dinner crowd.
- 2 pounds lean (90 percent) ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 (15 oz.) cans tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 (16 oz.) cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (6 oz.) can black olives, drained and chopped (1 cup)
- 1 bag (9.75 oz.) corn chips, such as Fritos
- 1 pound low-fat Cheddar, grated
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Mist a skillet with cooking spray. Sauté beef over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 5 to 7 minutes. Add onion; sauté for 3 minutes. Add garlic; cook for 1 minute. Add chili powder and cumin; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add tomato sauce, lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in 2 Tbsp. cilantro.
- Mist a deep 9-by-13-inch casserole dish with cooking spray. Spread half of meat in baking dish, then half of beans, half of olives, half of corn chips and half of cheese. Repeat layering with remaining meat, beans, olives, chips and cheese.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until golden and crispy on top and bubbling. Sprinkle with remaining cilantro.
- Calories: 576
- Fat: 34g
- Saturated fat: 9g
- Protein: 51g
- Carbohydrate: 64g
- Fiber: 13g
- Cholesterol: 85mg
- Sodium: 224mg