Prep time: 20 min.
Baking time: 20 min.
Decoration time: 30 min
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line the bottom of the baking pan with parchment paper or wax paper; grease and flour it.
2. Prepare the cake mix according to the package instructions and fold in 2 cups chopped SNICKERS® Brand Minis. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
3. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack. Invert and let cool completely.
4. Meanwhile, tint the vanilla frosting light blue. Place the cake on a clean surface and, with the photo as your guide, trim the two opposite sides to resemble a kite. Keep the trimmings: sandwich them together to make a second, smaller kite cake. Place both cakes on a serving platter.
5. Working on one cake at a time, cover it with blue frosting, making it as smooth as possible. Arrange licorice laces in a cross, separating it into four sections.
6. Insert a pretzel stick into each corner on the side of the cake. Beginning around the outside edge of each panel, and working inwards, arrange one like-colored M&M'S® Brand Milk Chocolate Candy in each of the four panels.
7. Cut a 12-inch strand of fruit leather for the kite's tail. For bows, cut 2 or 3 strands of fruit leather, 7 inches each. Dab the back of three red M&M'S® Brand Milk Chocolate Candies with frosting, and place one in the center of each bow. Attach the 12-inch strand tail at the base of the cake for the kite's tail. Arrange the bows down the tail. Decorate the second cake the same way.
TIPS: For a smaller crowd, just decorate the one cake and freeze the other for another time. You can also use your favorite cake mix. It will make two 9- x 9-inch cakes. Use one for the kites, and wrap the second cake and freeze it for another use.