Pair watermelon and mango with lean flank steak for a high-protein main dish that's packed with vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Like watermelon, mangoes are full of powerful antioxidants that can help fight heart disease and some forms of cancer.
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (1 1/2-pound) flank steak, trimmed
- Cooking spray
- 2 peeled ripe mangoes, each cut into quarters (about 1 pound)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup thinly vertically sliced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 cups finely diced seedless watermelon (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- Mint sprigs (optional)
- Lime wedges (optional)
- Prepare grill.
- To prepare steak, combine first 4 ingredients. Sprinkle steak evenly with sugar mixture. Place steak on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill for 8 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut steak diagonally across grain into thin slices.
- To prepare chutney, place mango on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 4 minutes on each side. Cool and chop. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 4 minutes. Add ginger; sauté 1 minute. Add vinegar, 2 tablespoons sugar, juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper; cook 5 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Stir in mango; cook 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in watermelon, cilantro, and mint. Add mint sprigs and lime wedges, if desired.
- Calories: 274
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Fat: 7.4g
- Saturated fat: 2.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 25.7g
- Carbohydrate: 26.8g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Cholesterol: 37mg
- Iron: 2.3mg
- Sodium: 553mg
- Calcium: 57mg