Photo: Kelsey Hansen; Prop Styling: Mark Driskill
Red and purple beets give this stew an inviting vibrance, while fresh thyme, garlic, and red onion add to the rich flavor. Inspired by the magical wizarding world, this smooth and flavorful soup is sure to satisfy the greatest of Harry Potter fans.
1. Preheat the oven to 375°.
2. Drizzle beets with olive oil and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of kosher salt. Wrap the beets in 2 sheets of heavy-duty foil; place beets on a rimmed baking sheet and bake at 375°for 1 ½ hours or until they are tender (a knife should easily go to the middle). Let beets cool in the foil.
3. After removing the beets from the oven, heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Melt the butter and add the parsnips, carrots, garlic, and onion; stir in remaining 2 teaspoons salt and white pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes stirring frequently until the onions have become translucent.
4. Peel the beets and quarter them. Add beets and thyme to pan. Add enough chicken stock to cover vegetables and bring to a simmer; cook for 30 minutes or until all the vegetables are tender.
5. Puree soup using an immersion blender until smooth. Stir in vinegar and cream. Garnish with fresh dill, if desired.