Tian, a French word used throughout Provence, refers to both a shallow cooking vessel and the food cooked in it. An 11 x 7-inch glass or ceramic baking dish works well for this eggplant, zucchini, and tomato creation, but if you have a 2-quart tian or gratin dish, all the better.
- 1 pound Japanese eggplant, cut diagonally into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 pound zucchini, cut diagonally into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- Cooking spray
- 1 pound large beefsteak tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 4 ounces French bread baguette
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°.
- 2. Arrange eggplant and zucchini in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Lightly coat vegetables with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes. Arrange half of eggplant in a single layer in an 11 x 7-inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with half of zucchini and half of tomato. Drizzle 2 1/4 teaspoons oil evenly over vegetables. Sprinkle vegetables evenly with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper.
- 3. Place bread in a food processor; process until coarse crumbs measure 2 cups. Add cheese and next 4 ingredients (through garlic) to processor; process until combined. Sprinkle 1 1/2 cups breadcrumb mixture evenly over tomato. Repeat layers with remaining eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes, oil, salt, pepper, and breadcrumb mixture. Pour broth over top. Bake at 375° for 1 hour or until vegetables are tender and topping is browned.
- Calories: 191
- Fat: 8.1g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 10g
- Carbohydrate: 22.3g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 12mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 459mg
- Calcium: 178mg