- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 4 (8-ounce) cans no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 (28-ounce) can no-salt-added whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (1-pound) eggplants, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cups Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Fresh oregano sprigs (optional)
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes.
- Place eggplant in a large bowl; add water to cover, and let stand 30 minutes. Drain well; blot dry with paper towels. Combine 1/4 cup water and egg whites in a shallow bowl. Combine breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese; stir well. Dip eggplant in egg white mixture, and dredge in breadcrumb mixture.
- Place half of eggplant on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray, and broil 5 minutes on each side or until browned. Repeat procedure with remaining eggplant. Set eggplant aside.
- Spread half of tomato mixture in bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange half of eggplant over sauce; top with half of mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers with remaining sauce, eggplant, and cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh oregano sprigs, if desired.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.Cooking Light
- Calories: 298
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 8.5g
- Saturated fat: 5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 19.2g
- Carbohydrate: 38.8g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 27mg
- Iron: 2.8mg
- Sodium: 818mg
- Calcium: 422mg