Photo: Johnny Miller; Styling: Heather Chontos
- 8 center-cut bacon slices
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 8 ounces sliced shiitake mushroom caps
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups shredded hash brown potatoes (such as Simply Potatoes)
- 1/4 cup no-salt-added chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 5 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 3 ounces reduced-fat Swiss cheese, finely chopped
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
Total: 9 Hours, 10 Minutes
- 1. Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan; crumble. Increase heat to medium-high. Add onion, mushrooms, and garlic to drippings in pan; sauté for 6 minutes. Add potatoes and stock; cook 6 minutes, stirring frequently. Add spinach, basil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cook 2 minutes or until spinach wilts. Remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes. Stir in crumbled bacon and cheese. Place mushroom mixture in an 11 x 7-inch broiler-safe glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 3. Uncover dish. Combine remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, milk, and eggs in a medium bowl. Pour egg mixture over mushroom mixture. Bake at 350° for 28 minutes.
- 4. Preheat broiler to high; remove dish while broiler preheats. Broil 3 minutes or until top is browned and just set. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Calories: 238
- Fat: 9.5g
- Saturated fat: 4.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 16.9g
- Carbohydrate: 21.3g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Cholesterol: 199mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 618mg
- Calcium: 188mg