- 1/2 (16-oz.) package penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 (4-oz.) jar diced pimiento, drained
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch of paprika
- 1. Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- 2. Whisk together flour and 1/4 cup milk. Add flour mixture to remaining milk, whisking until smooth.
- 3. Bring milk mixture to a boil in a large skillet over medium heat; reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, whisking constantly, 3 to 5 minutes or until smooth. Stir in cheese and next 4 ingredients until smooth. Stir in pasta, and cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Serve immediately.
- Easy Skillet Green Chile Mac 'n' Cheese: Substitute 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Monterey Jack cheese for Cheddar cheese and 1 (4-oz.) can chopped green chiles, undrained, for diced pimiento. Proceed with recipe as directed.
- Per serving: Calories 251; Fat 7.3g (sat 4.6g, mono 0.2g, poly 0.1g); Protein 11.6g; Carb 34.1g; Fiber 1.5g; Chol 22mg; Iron 1.7mg; Sodium 491mg; Calc 229mg
- Easy Skillet Whole Grain Mac 'n' Cheese: Substitute 1/2 (13.5-oz.) package whole grain penne pasta for regular. Proceed with recipe as directed.
- Per serving: Calories 215; Fat 7.9g (sat 4.4g, mono 0.2g, poly 0.9g); Protein 11.1g; Carb 29.8g; Fiber 3.8g; Chol 22.4mg; Iron 1.5mg; Sodium 444mg; Calc 222mg
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.Melissa Quinones, Eustis, Florida, Southern Living
- Calories: 250
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 7.3g
- Saturated fat: 4.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Protein: 12.3g
- Carbohydrate: 34.7g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Cholesterol: 22mg
- Iron: 1.7mg
- Sodium: 446mg
- Calcium: 217mg