Photo: Beth Dreiling; Styling: Rose Ngyuen
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage
- 1 (15-oz.) container part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup refrigerated ready-made pesto
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 (26-oz.) jars pasta sauce
- 9 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 4 cups (16 oz.) shredded Italian three-cheese blend or mozzarella cheese
Stand Time: 15 Minutes
- 1. Remove and discard casings from sausage. Cook sausage in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring until meat crumbles and is no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Stir together ricotta cheese, pesto, and egg.
- 3. Spread half of 1 jar pasta sauce evenly in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Layer with 3 lasagna noodles (noodles should not touch each other or sides of dish), half of ricotta mixture, half of sausage, 1 cup three-cheese blend, and remaining half of 1 jar pasta sauce. Repeat layers using 3 lasagna noodles, remaining ricotta mixture, remaining sausage, 1 cup three-cheese blend. Top with remaining 3 noodles and second jar of pasta sauce, covering noodles completely. Sprinkle evenly with remaining 2 cups three-cheese blend.
- 4. Bake, covered, at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 more minutes or until cheese is melted and edges are lightly browned and bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Classico Tomato & Basil spaghetti sauce and Barilla Lasagne Oven-Ready noodles.