Photo: Alison Miksch
This giant, skillet cookie is exactly what everyone wants for dessert. A no-frill chocolate chip recipe that stays warm and soft in the center with a slight crisp around the edges is just how we like it. Serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and maybe a swirl of chocolate sauce if you're feeling fancy.
Serves 8 to 10
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Lightly coat a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with cooking spray. Beat brown sugar, granulated sugar, and butter with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add egg, milk, and vanilla, beating until blended.
2. Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Add to butter mixture gradually, beating at low speed until combined.
3. Add 1 cup of the chocolate chips; beat until combined.
4. Spread mixture evenly in prepared skillet. Top with remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips.
5. Bake in preheated oven until golden and set, about 50 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes; cut into wedges. Serve with vanilla ice cream.
Pecan Praline: Omit chocolate chips. Prepare recipe as directed, stirring in 1/2 cup chopped pecans and 1/2 cup toffee bits in Step 3 and topping mixture with 3/4 cup pecan halves and 3 tablespoons jarred caramel sauce in Step 4. Sprinkle with sea salt just before serving.
Mississippi Mud: Increase milk to 5 tablespoons. Prepare recipe as directed, whisking 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa into flour mixture in Step 2 and topping cookie with 1/4 cup miniature marshmallows during the last 30 minutes of baking in Step 5.
Strawberry Shortcake: Increase milk to 1/4 cup. Substitute white chocolate chips for semisweet chocolate chips. Prepare recipe as directed, beating 3/4 cup chopped frozen pound cake into mixture with white chocolate chips in Step 3. Top mixture with 1/4 cup chopped frozen pound cake in Step 4. Serve cookie wedges with whipped cream and sliced strawberries.
Grasshopper: Omit milk and chocolate chips. Prepare recipe as directed, beating 3 tablespoons bourbon into mixture with egg and vanilla in Step 1 and stirring in 1 cup halved thin crème de menthe chocolate mints in Step 3. Top mixture with 1/4 cup halved thin crème de menthe chocolate mints in Step 4.
Hummingbird: Omit milk and vanilla extract. Substitute white chocolate chips for semisweet chocolate chips. Prepare recipe as directed, adding 1/4 cup mashed banana and 1 1/2 teaspoons coconut extract to butter mixture in Step 1 and 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut and 1/2 cup chopped dried pineapple in Step 3.