Thomas J. Story
- 3/4 cup plus 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon plus 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 Hour, 30 Minutes
- 1. In a food processor fitted with a metal blade, pulse 3/4 cup flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon sugar with the butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Add 3 tablespoons cold water and pulse until dough just comes together. Quickly shape the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- 2. Preheat oven to 450°. In a large bowl, combine blueberries with the remaining 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 3/4 cup sugar, and the lemon juice and cinnamon. Pour into a 1 1/2- to 2 1/2-quart soufflé dish.
- 3. Unwrap chilled dough on a floured surface and roll to a 1/8-inch thickness. Cut dough into 1/2-inch-thick strips, then arrange over blueberries in a lattice pattern (see "Weave a Lattice Crust," below). Press edges to seal.
- 4. Bake 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350° and bake until top is golden brown and berries are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Weave a Lattice Crust: The secret to a perfect lattice piecrust is simple: Work from the middle. Here's how to make a crust using five horizontal and five vertical strips.
- 1. Lay down five horizontal strips, making sure that they're evenly spaced.
- 2. Working from the right side, fold back every other horizontal strip (numbers 1, 3, and 5).
- 3. Lay down a vertical strip in the center, next to the fold.
- 4. Unfold horizontal strips 1, 3, and 5 back over the vertical strip.
- 5. Working once more from the right, fold back horizontal strips 2 and 4 by one-third.
- 6. Lay down a second vertical strip next to this fold. Unfold strips 2 and 4 back over the vertical strip.
- 7. Once more, from the right, fold back horizontal strips 1, 3, and 5, about a quarter of the way over. Lay your third vertical strip next to this fold and fold the horizontal strips back over it.
- 8. Repeat this process with two strips on the other side, working from the center.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
- Calories: 286
- Calories from fat: 38%
- Protein: 2.6g
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 7.2g
- Carbohydrate: 44g
- Fiber: 2.2g
- Sodium: 267mg
- Cholesterol: 31mg