Photo: Charles Schiller; Styling: Lynn Miller
- 1 recipe Flaky Pie Dough
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 pounds Granny Smith apples (about 6 large), peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. Roll out pie dough on a lightly floured surface into an 11-inch circle. Fit into a 9-inch pie pan and trim edges so they overhang by 1 inch. Fold dough under to create a double-thick edge; crimp decoratively. Place in freezer for 15 minutes.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and set it on lower rack. Combine butter, brown sugar and 1 cup flour in a medium mixing bowl. Pinch with fingers until large crumbs form. Place bowl in freezer.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine apples, sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon and remaining 1/4 cup flour. Toss to coat and let stand 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to dissolve sugar. Scrape mixture into pie crust, arranging apples as compactly as possible.
- 4. Set pie on baking sheet and bake for 35 minutes. Sprinkle reserved crumb topping over apples and bake until topping is golden brown, 40 to 50 minutes longer. Let cool on a wire rack before serving.
- Calories: 511
- Fat: 21g
- Saturated fat: 11g
- Protein: 5g
- Carbohydrate: 79g
- Fiber: 5g
- Cholesterol: 38mg
- Sodium: 80mg