Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Heather Chadduck
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 pounds Gala apples
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Toasted pecan halves, powdered sugar
Total: 3 Hours, 55 Minutes
- 1. Prepare Crust: Preheat oven to 350°. Bake pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan 4 to 5 minutes or until lightly toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through. Cool completely (about 20 minutes).
- 2. Meanwhile, beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer 1 minute or until creamy; add powdered sugar, beating well. Gradually add flour, beating at low speed until mixture is no longer crumbly and starts to come together into a ball. Stir in pecans. Shape one-third of dough into an 8-inch log; wrap in plastic wrap, and chill until ready to use. Press remaining dough on bottom and up sides of a 9-inch springform pan. Cover and chill crust.
- 3. Prepare Filling: Peel apples. Cut into 1/4-inch-thick wedges. Toss together apples and next 4 ingredients. Spoon mixture into prepared crust. Drizzle with melted butter.
- 4. Cut reserved dough log into 8 (1-inch) pieces. Gently shape each piece into a 6- to 8-inch rope. Lightly press each rope to flatten into strips. Arrange strips in a lattice design over filling.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes or until juices are thick and bubbly, crust is golden brown, and apples are tender when pierced with a long wooden pick, shielding with foil during last 30 minutes to prevent excessive browning. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Remove sides of pan.