Fresh lump crab is the gold standard, but can be quite pricey. Alternatives include refrigerated, pasteurized cans or shelf-stable cans and pouches; these versions have smaller pieces, so if using, finely chop the peppers and mangoes so they don't overpower the crab.
- 1/2 cup chopped orange bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 4 cups chopped ripe mangoes, divided (about 3 large)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound lump crabmeat, flaked
- 1/3 cup chopped roasted cashew nuts
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1. Sauté bell pepper in hot oil 2 to 3 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- 2. Process sautéed bell pepper, 2 cups chopped mango, and next 4 ingredients in a food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides.
- 3. Combine pureed mango mixture, green onions, remaining diced mango, and crab. Sprinkle with cashews and cayenne pepper.