1. Preheat oven to 200º.
2. In a large bowl, sift flour, salt, and baking powder. Add the milk and 1 tablespoon maple syrup and whisk until smooth.
3. Beat in the egg and gently mix in the corn kernels.
4. In a large skillet, heat about 1 tablespoon oil over medium to moderately high heat. Drop 2 to 3 tablespoons of batter into the hot oil and cook for about 6 minutes, turning halfway through cooking, until golden brown and cooked through. Gently press the fritter down with the back of a spatula while cooking.
5. Continue frying the fritters in batches, adding the remaining oil as needed. Meanwhile, heat the syrup for pouring in the microwave or in a small saucepan over low heat until hot.
6. Drain the fritters on a paper towel and keep warm on a serving plate in the oven. Serve with the warm syrup.
How kids can help: Sift dry ingredients together; mix batter.