Ingredients from several Turkish-Mediterranean dishes at the Fillmore Street location of Troya Mediterranean Kitchen in San Francisco inspired this easy yet exotic meal. If your grocery store doesn't carry dried mint in the spice aisle, open a bag of peppermint tea.
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 tsp. ground coriander
- About 3 1/2 tsp. sumac*, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 whole chicken (4 to 4 1/2 lbs.), lumps of fat removed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) chickpeas (garbanzos), rinsed
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped roasted hazelnuts
- Hot long-grain white rice for 6, cooked with a little dried mint
- Plain whole-milk yogurt seasoned with dried mint and salt
1 Hour, 30 Minutes
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Combine 2 tbsp. coriander, 2 tsp. sumac, the cumin, pepper, and 1 tsp. salt. Rub chicken with 1 1/2 tbsp. oil, then inside and out with spice mixture. Put lemon inside cavity. Set chicken, breast up, on a rack in a roasting pan. Tie legs together loosely with kitchen twine.
- 2. Roast chicken 45 minutes, then baste every 15 minutes or so with pan drippings until a leg joint wiggles easily and juices run clear, about 30 minutes more.
- 3. Heat remaining 1 1/2 tbsp. oil and the butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add raisins, currants, 1 1/2 tsp. sumac, and remaining 1 tsp. coriander and 1/2 tsp. salt. Cook, stirring, until puffy and sizzling, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in a splash of water, the chickpeas, and parsley and cook until hot. Stir in hazelnuts.
- 4. Spread rice on a platter. Arrange chickpea mixture over rice, then set chicken on top and remove twine. Serve with yogurt, the roasted lemon, and more sumac to add to taste.
- *Find in the spice aisle or at worldspice.com
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving without rice.
- Calories: 576
- Calories from fat: 56%
- Protein: 44g
- Fat: 36g
- Saturated fat: 8.6g
- Carbohydrate: 18g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sodium: 585mg
- Cholesterol: 164mg