Photo: Charles Masters; Styling: Alma Melendez
- 6 cups oak or hickory wood chips
- 1 tablespoon ground coffee
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (4 1/2-pound) flat-cut brisket (about 3 inches thick)
Total: 7 Hours, 15 Minutes
- 1. Soak the wood chips in water at least 1 hour; drain.
- 2. Combine coffee and the next 8 ingredients in a bowl. Pat brisket dry; rub with coffee mixture.
- 3. Remove grill rack, and set aside. Prepare grill for indirect grilling, heating one side to high and leaving one side with no heat. Pierce bottom of a disposable aluminum foil pan several times with the tip of a knife. Place pan on heat element on heated side of grill; add 1 1/2 cups wood chips to pan. Place another disposable aluminum foil pan (do not pierce pan) on unheated side of grill. Pour 2 cups water in pan. Let chips stand for 15 minutes or until smoking; reduce heat to medium-low. Maintain temperature at 225°. Place grill rack on grill. Place the brisket in a small roasting pan, and place pan on grill rack on unheated side. Close lid; cook for 6 hours or until a meat thermometer registers 195°. Add 1 1/2 cups wood chips every hour for first 4 hours; cover pan with foil for remaining 2 hours. Remove from grill. Let stand, covered, 30 minutes.
- 4. Unwrap brisket, reserving juices; trim and discard fat. Place a large zip-top plastic bag inside a 4-cup glass measure. Pour juices through a sieve into bag; discard solids. Let drippings stand for 10 minutes (fat will rise to the top). Seal bag; carefully snip off 1 bottom corner of bag. Drain drippings into a bowl, stopping before fat reaches opening; discard fat. Cut brisket across grain into thin slices; serve with juices.
- Calories: 156
- Fat: 4.4g
- Saturated fat: 1.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 24.9g
- Carbohydrate: 2.3g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Cholesterol: 47mg
- Iron: 2.4mg
- Sodium: 414mg
- Calcium: 25mg