Before there were nachos, there were chilaquiles. Tomatoes and spices simmer with any kind of meat to make the ideal topping for tortilla chips. Here, chipotle, chicken, and cilantro meld in this filling Mexican favorite.
- 4 bone-in chicken breast halves (about 2 1/2 pounds), skinned
- 1 1/2 cups chopped red onion
- 1 1/4 cups chopped red bell pepper
- 1 1/4 cups chopped green bell pepper
- 3/4 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chopped chipotle chile, canned in adobo sauce
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 (28-ounce) cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chiles, undrained
- 5 cups baked tortilla chips
- 2.67 ounces crumbled queso fresco (about 2/3 cup)
- 1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken to pan. Cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned.
- 2. While chicken cooks, combine onion and next 9 ingredients (through green chiles) in a 5-quart electric slow cooker. Transfer chicken to slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours.
- 3. Remove chicken from slow cooker. Remove meat from bones; discard bones. Return meat to soup. Divide tortilla chips among 8 bowls. Ladle soup over tortilla chips; sprinkle with cheese.
- Calories: 219
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 2.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 25.4g
- Carbohydrate: 22.9g
- Fiber: 3.8g
- Cholesterol: 55mg
- Iron: 2.3mg
- Sodium: 623mg
- Calcium: 92mg