- 4 bone-in chicken thighs, skinned
- 2 bone-in chicken breast halves, halved crosswise and skinned
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1 cup unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, divided
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain Dijon mustard
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- Cooking spray
- 2 slices applewood-smoked bacon, cooked and crumbled
Total: 1 Hour, 15 Minutes
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°.
- 2. Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Sprinkle chicken evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add half of chicken to pan, flesh side down. Cook 4 minutes or until browned; remove from pan. Repeat with remaining chicken. Set chicken aside.
- 3. Add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic to pan; cook for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add wine; cook for 2 minutes, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Return chicken to pan, flesh side up. Combine stock and flour in a bowl, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Add stock mixture to pan.
- 4. Stir in tarragon, 2 tablespoons parsley, mustard, and bay leaf, and bring to a boil. Cover and bake at 325° for 45 minutes or until chicken is done and very tender. Remove pan from oven. Remove chicken from pan, and top with 1/4 cup cooking liquid. Keep warm. Heat pan over medium-high heat, and bring to a boil. Boil 5 minutes or until mixture is reduced to 3 cups. Whisk in butter, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Discard bay leaf.
- 5. Preheat broiler to high.
- 6. Arrange tomatoes in a single layer on a jelly-roll pan; lightly coat with cooking spray. Broil 6 minutes or until blistered. Sprinkle chicken with tomatoes, crumbled bacon, and remaining 1 tablespoon parsley. Serve with sauce.
- If you like kalamata olives, try Greek-Style Stewed Chicken: Prepare Chicken with Wine Sauce through step 4, omitting carrot and celery and adding 1/2 cup chopped, seeded plum tomato and 1/2 cup thinly sliced green bell pepper instead, decreasing wine to 1 3/4 cups and adding 1/4 cup ouzo (or brandy), and omitting tarragon, parsley, and mustard. Stir in 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano leaves and 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves. Add 1/4 cup sliced, pitted kalamata olives and 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice into sauce mixture when butter is added, stirring until butter melts. Omit steps 5 and 6. Serve with lemon wedges, if desired. Serves 6 (serving size: 2 chicken thighs or 1/2 chicken breast half and about 1/3 cup sauce) Calories 349; Fat 10.7g (sat 2.9g); Sodium 439mg
- If you like saffron, try Moroccan Stewed Chicken: Prepare Chicken with Wine Sauce through step 4, omitting celery and adding 1/2 cup chopped, seeded plum tomato instead; decreasing wine to 1 3/4 cups; omitting tarragon, parsley, and mustard; and stirring in 1/3 cup chopped dried apricot halves, 1/4 cup sliced pitted green olives, and 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads with the bay leaf. Add 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice into sauce when butter is added, stirring until smooth. Omit steps 5 and 6. Serve with lemon wedges. Serves 6 (serving size: 2 chicken thighs or 1/2 chicken breast half, about 1/2 cup sauce, and 1 lemon wedge) Calories 336; Fat 9.7g (sat 2.6g); Sodium 454mg
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.Mary Drennen, Cooking Light
- Calories: 339
- Fat: 9.8g
- Saturated fat: 3.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Protein: 35.8g
- Carbohydrate: 11.4g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Cholesterol: 116mg
- Iron: 1.9mg
- Sodium: 435mg
- Calcium: 55mg