Marsala, a fortified Italian wine recognized for its golden brown color and sweet, nutty flavor, is used in both sweet and savory dishes. Along with the smoky mushrooms in this Chicken and Shiitake Marsala recipe, the wine creates a rich, aromatic sauce.
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (3 1/2-ounce) packages shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup Marsala wine
- 2 green onions, finely chopped (about 1/3 cup) and divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1. Place each chicken breast half between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; pound to 1/2-inch thickness using a meat mallet or small heavy skillet.
- 2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle chicken evenly with salt and pepper. Add chicken to pan. Cook 5 to 6 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken and drippings from pan; set aside, and keep warm.
- 3. Heat pan over medium-high heat; coat pan with cooking spray. Add mushrooms. Coat mushrooms with cooking spray; cook 2 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add wine and 3 tablespoons onions. Cook 30 seconds over high heat. Reduce heat; add butter, stirring until butter melts.
- 4. Add chicken and drippings to pan, stirring gently. Place chicken on platter. Spoon mushroom sauce over chicken; sprinkle with remaining onions.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.Cooking Light Fresh Food Fast, Oxmoor House
- Calories: 291
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated fat: 4.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 40.9g
- Carbohydrate: 6.2g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Cholesterol: 114mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 303mg
- Calcium: 40mg