- 8 skinned and boned chicken breast halves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 1/2 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened and cut up
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 16 frozen phyllo pastry sheets, thawed
- Melted butter or margarine
- Mixed salad greens
Bake: 40 Minutes
- Place chicken between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap, and flatten to 1/8-inch thickness, using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Sauté spinach and onion in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 3 to 4 minutes or until onion is tender. Remove from heat, and stir in cream cheese until blended. Stir in mozzarella cheese and next 6 ingredients.
- Spoon 1/4 cup spinach mixture on center of each chicken breast half, and roll up, jellyroll fashion.
- Unfold phyllo sheets on a lightly floured surface. Stack 2 phyllo sheets, brushing with melted butter between sheets. (Keep remaining phyllo sheets covered with plastic wrap to prevent drying out.) Place 1 chicken roll on short side of phyllo stack; gently roll up, folding in long side. Repeat procedure with remaining pastry, melted butter, and chicken. Place rolls in a shallow pan, and brush with melted butter.
- Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes or until done. Serve on a bed of mixed greens, if desired.