This baked cheese grits casserole is perfect for lazy weekend mornings. Just cook the grits in milk and butter, stir in eggs, salt, and pepper, and pop in the oven–it's ready in less than an hour. For other Southern dishes like this one, see our complete collection of Southern recipes.
- 4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Garnish: parsley sprigs
Bake: 40 Minutes
- Bring milk just to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; gradually whisk in butter and grits. Reduce heat, and simmer, whisking constantly, 5 to 7 minutes or until grits are done. Remove from heat.
- Stir in egg and next 3 ingredients. Pour into a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, covered, at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes or until mixture is set. Serve immediately. Garnish, if desired.