Photo: Jonny Valiant; Styling: Linda Hirst
- 1/2 (17.3-ounce) package frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
- All-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 to 3 teaspoons Asian sriracha hot chili sauce or Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) finely shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
- Parchment paper
Chill: 30 Minutes
Bake: 15 Minutes
Total: 1 Hour, 5 Minutes
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°. Unfold pastry sheet onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 10- x 12-inch rectangle.
- 2. Lightly beat egg, water, and desired amount of sriracha in a small bowl. Brush pastry with egg wash. Sprinkle half of pastry lengthwise with cheese; fold other half over cheese, pressing lightly. Lightly flour pastry, and gently roll into a 7- x 12-inch rectangle. Brush top of pastry with egg wash; sprinkle with sesame seeds. Chill 30 minutes.
- 3. Cut pastry crosswise into 1/2-inch strips. Twist each strip, and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes or until golden.