We toss shredded carrot with a little sugar and let the mixture stand for a few minutes. This tenderizes the shreds--important here because, unlike with an actual carrot cake that bakes for a while, these cook for only 11 minutes, not much time for the carrots to cook to softness. To bake a second batch, mix up and bake two separate batches of cookie batter instead of one large batch. You can make just one big double-batch of the cream cheese filling, though.
- 2 cups shredded carrot
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract, divided
- 1 large egg
- 4.5 ounces unbleached all-purpose flour (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/8 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
Total: 50 Minutes
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Cover 2 baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- 2. Combine carrot and 3 tablespoons brown sugar in a bowl; toss to coat. Place carrot mixture in a fine mesh sieve; let stand to drain for 10 minutes. Discard liquid.
- 3. Place 2 tablespoons butter in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 45 seconds or until melted. Add oil, rind, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, and egg; stir with a whisk until well combined.
- 4. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, remaining brown sugar (about 1/2 cup), cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and baking soda in a large bowl; stir well with a whisk. Add carrot mixture and butter mixture; stir until just combined. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheets for a total of 28 cookies (14 per baking sheet); gently pat dough down to form 2-inch circles. Bake at 350° for 11 minutes or until set. Remove pans from oven; let stand 3 minutes. Remove cookies from pans; cool completely on a wire rack.
- 5. Combine cream cheese, remaining 2 tablespoons butter, remaining 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract, and remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed 3 minutes or until fluffy. Add powdered sugar; beat at low speed 1 minute or until well combined (do not overbeat). Spread about 1 tablespoon icing on flat side of 1 cookie; top with another cookie, flat side down. Repeat the procedure with remaining cookies and filling.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.Deb Wise, Cooking Light
- Calories: 186
- Fat: 7.5g
- Saturated fat: 3.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 2g
- Carbohydrate: 28g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 8mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 137mg
- Calcium: 26mg