Photo: Iain Bagwell; Prop Stylist: Heather Chadduck; Food Stylist: Ana Kelly
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups finely grated carrots (about 1 lb.)
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 1/3 cup chopped golden raisins
- Mascarpone Cream
- Garnish: carrot curls
Total: 50 Minutes
- Stir together first 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk together buttermilk and next 4 ingredients in another bowl. Gradually stir buttermilk mixture into flour mixture just until dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in carrots and next 2 ingredients. Pour about 1/4 cup batter for each pancake onto a hot buttered griddle or large nonstick skillet. Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until tops are covered with bubbles and edges look dry and cooked. Turn and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until done. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet, and keep warm in a 200° oven up to 30 minutes. Serve with Mascarpone Cream.
- Note: When using a griddle, heat it to 350°.
- Tip: For tender pancakes, don't overmix the batter; it should be lumpy.