Photo: Oxmoor House
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 2/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 (15-ounce) package gluten-free yellow cake mix (such as Betty Crocker)
- 1 (3.4-ounce) package gluten-free vanilla instant pudding mix
- 3 1/3 cups grated carrot (about 1 pound carrots)
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Cooking spray
- 6 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons 1% low-fat milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. To prepare cake, combine first 7 ingredients in a bowl; beat with a mixer at low speed for 1 minute. Scrape sides of bowl; beat at medium-high speed for 2 minutes or until batter is smooth, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. (Batter will be thick.) Fold in carrot, raisins, and walnuts. Spoon batter evenly into 2 (9-inch) round cake pans coated with cooking spray.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove from pans. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 4. To prepare frosting, place cream cheese, milk, and vanilla in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar; beat at low speed just until blended.
- 5. Place 1 cake layer on a plate; spread with 1/2 cup frosting. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake.
- Calories: 332
- Fat: 10.4g
- Saturated fat: 2.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 4.2g
- Protein: 3.2g
- Carbohydrate: 59.4g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Cholesterol: 44mg
- Iron: 0.5mg
- Sodium: 119mg
- Calcium: 28mg