Photo: Randy Mayor; Styling: Lindsey Lower
Nicely roasted cabbage turns sweet and earthy, with a deliciously silky texture. There's a beautiful balance of flavors here--sweetness from cabbage and carrots, fire from hot sauce, brightness from vinegar, and richness from butter.
Serves 8 (serving size: 3/4 cup)
1. Preheat oven to 450°.
2. Combine cabbage, onion, oil, sugar, black pepper, and salt in a large bowl; toss to coat. (It's OK if the cubes start to separate.)
3. Divide cabbage mixture between 2 foil-lined jelly-roll pans. Bake at 450° for 20 minutes, stirring and rotating pans after 10 minutes.
4. In the same bowl that you used for the cabbage, combine carrots, vinegar, and hot sauce; toss to coat.
5. Remove cabbage from oven, and carefully transfer to the bowl with the carrots. Add butter; toss gently to combine.
6. Heat broiler to high. Return cabbage mixture to pans, spreading evenly. Place each pan under the broiler for 3 minutes (this will be a two-phase operation) or until edges begin to brown and evenly crisp.
Apple and Caraway Roast Cabbage: Replace carrot ribbons with 3 cups thinly sliced Honeycrisp or Fuji apple. Substitute 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard and 2 teaspoons toasted caraway seeds for the habanero sauce. SERVES 8 (serving size: 3/4 cup) CALORIES 95; FAT 3.6g (sat 1.1g); SODIUM 223mg