Time: 30 minutes. A fast, fun accompaniment to any simply grilled, broiled, or roasted meat. We particularly like it with a rotisserie chicken, some crusty bread, and Greek-style yogurt on the side. Save time and effort by using a 2-lb. bag of precut butternut squash.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 serrano chile, halved, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 2 lbs.), peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-in. cubes
- Chopped cilantro (optional)
- 1. Pour oil and mustard seeds into a large frying pan. Cook over medium-high heat, covered, until seeds finish popping, about 1 minute. Add garlic and chile and cook, stirring, until garlic just starts to brown, about 1 minute.
- 2. Add squash and stir to coat. Add 1/2 cup water, cover, and cook until squash is tender to the bite, 20 to 25 minutes. Sprinkle with salt to taste and garnish with cilantro if you like.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
- Calories: 56
- Calories from fat: 21%
- Protein: 1.1g
- Fat: 1.3g
- Saturated fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrate: 12g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sodium: 4.1mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg