1. Add a thin layer of vanilla frosting to the top of the whole cupcake.
2. Place 2 caramels in a microwave-safe dish and Microwave on HIGH 2-3 seconds or until softened. Press caramels together and roll between the palms of hands to form into a ball. Roll or press out the caramel ball into a 1/8-inch in thickness on wax or parchment paper. Cut out a circle using a 2 ½-inch round cutter, reserving excess caramel. Place caramel circle on top of the cupcake to cover the entire top surface.
3. Using a knife or tear drop-shaped cutter, cut 2 small triangular ears from the excess unused-rolled caramel. Place one ear at “11 o’clock” and the other at “1 o’clock”, and fold them inward, over the caramel circle that covers the cupcake.
4. Fit a piping bag with a #12 tip. Fill with vanilla frosting. Pipe a round disk, the size of a quarter, on the bottom of the frosted cupcake near the “6 o’clock” position. (This can also be done with a small spatula.)
5. Place 2 caramels in a microwave-safe dish and Microwave on HIGH 2-3 seconds or until softened. Press together and roll between the palms of hands to form into a ball, then into a rope the length of the cupcake’s diameter. Shape into a boomerang or a “C” and place upside down on the cupcake. The center of the rope should line up with the center of the cupcake and the two sides should arch downward.
6. Fill a small piping bag with dark chocolate frosting. Use a #2 or 3 tip and pipe 2 dots of dark chocolate frosting for the eyes or add mini candies, if preferred. Pipe eyebrows above the eyes.
7. Pipe 2 teeth with vanilla frosting. Place a small brown or black candy on top of the rope for a nose. This can also be done with a jelly bean or by piping frosting.
8. Using a knife, toothpick, or veining tool, form the face wrinkles in the bulldog’s face, as well as the mouth below the jowls.