Photo: Brian Woodcock; Styling: Claire Spollen
Here's a fun meat-free twist on steak frites: lightly charred broccoli steaks with crunchy tofu sticks and Sriracha aioli for dunking.
Serves 4 (serving size: one-fourth of broccoli, 6 tofu fries, and about 1 tablespoon sauce)
1. Place a large jelly-roll pan in oven. Preheat oven to 500° (leave pan in oven as it preheats).
2. Cut tofu crosswise into 4 (1/2-inch-thick) slabs. Arrange slabs on several layers of paper towels; cover with additional paper towels. Weight tofu down with a large skillet or roasting pan; let stand 5 minutes.
3. While tofu drains, place broccoli in a large microwave-safe dish. Add 1/4 cup water. Cover with plastic wrap; microwave at HIGH for 5 minutes. Uncover and cool slightly.
4. Uncover tofu; sprinkle evenly with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cut each tofu slab lengthwise into 6 thin strips. Combine cornstarch and next 4 ingredients (through pepper) in a shallow dish. Gently dredge tofu in cornstarch mixture, gently shaking off excess.
5. Remove pan from oven. Add oil to pan; carefully tilt pan to coat evenly with oil. Add tofu to pan. Bake at 500° for 10 minutes.
6. Cut broccoli into 1-inch-thick "steaks." Remove pan from oven; carefully turn tofu over using a thin metal spatula, and move to one side of pan. Add broccoli to other side of pan. Bake at 500° for 10 minutes, turning broccoli after 5 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.
7. Combine mayonnaise, Sriracha, and garlic. Serve with tofu and broccoli.