Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Styling: Basil Friedman
- 1 pound ground chicken, preferably a mixture of 1/2 white and 1/2 dark meat
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon each fresh lemon juice and finely shredded lemon zest
- 4 onion kaiser rolls, split
- 8 strips bacon (about 8 oz.), cooked until crisp
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- 4 leaves romaine lettuce
- 1. Prepare a charcoal or gas grill for medium heat (350° to 450°; you can hold your hand 5 in. above cooking grate only 5 to 7 seconds).
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, gently mix chicken, cheeses, garlic, salt, and pepper. Form into 4 burgers about 3/4 in. thick, making a slight depression in center of each patty (this helps keep burgers flat as they cook). Put on a plate, cover, and refrigerate until ready to grill.
- 3. In a blender, whirl mayonnaise, basil, lemon juice, and lemon zest together and refrigerate until ready to use. With a silicone brush or oiled paper towels, lightly oil cooking grate.
- 4. Grill burgers, covered, turning once, until browned and no longer pink inside (cut to test), 8 to 10 minutes total. Transfer burgers to a clean plate and place buns, cut sides down, on grill until lightly browned, 30 seconds.
- 5. Spread toasted sides of buns with basil mayonnaise. Set a chicken patty on each bun bottom and top each with 2 strips bacon, a tomato slice, and a lettuce leaf. Cover with bun top.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per burger.
- Calories: 670
- Calories from fat: 56%
- Protein: 38g
- Fat: 42g
- Saturated fat: 12g
- Carbohydrate: 35g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Sodium: 1121mg
- Cholesterol: 138mg