While it may sound like a fancy dish, Beef Lombardi is simply a mixture of ground beef and chopped tomatoes that’s spooned over a mixture of creamy noodles, topped with cheese, and baked. It’s a great make-ahead dish because you can assemble the casserole and freeze it for up to one month.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (6-ounce) package medium egg noodles
- 6 green onions, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- Garnish: fresh parsley sprigs
Bake: 40 Minutes
- Cook ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat 5 to 6 minutes, stirring until it crumbles and is no longer pink. Drain.
- Stir in chopped tomatoes and next 4 ingredients; cook 5 minutes. Add tomato paste and bay leaf, and simmer 30 minutes.
- Cook egg noodles according to package directions; drain.
- Stir together cooked egg noodles, chopped green onions, and sour cream until blended.
- Place noodle mixture in bottom of a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Top with beef mixture; sprinkle evenly with cheeses.
- Bake, covered with aluminum foil, at 350° for 35 minutes. Uncover casserole, and bake 5 more minutes. Garnish, if desired.
- Note: Freeze casserole up to 1 month, if desired. Thaw in refrigerator overnight. Bake as directed.
- To lighten: Substitute low-fat or fat-free sour cream and 2% reduced-fat Cheddar cheese. Reduce amount of cheeses on top to 1/2 cup each.