The surprise ingredient in the marinade is coffee—it contributes a rich, almost smoky flavor to the meat and blends magically with the vinegar, mustard, and molasses. When you're ready for a break from more traditional tomato-based barbecue sauces, this is the recipe you need.
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon dark molasses
- 2 (1-pound) pork tenderloins, trimmed
- 1/4 cup finely ground coffee
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea or kosher salt
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Cooking spray
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag; add pork. Seal and marinate in refrigerator 2 to 12 hours, turning bag occasionally. Remove pork from bag; discard marinade.
- Prepare grill, heating one side to medium and one side to high heat.
- Combine ground coffee and next 4 ingredients (ground coffee through salt); rub over pork. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Combine 1/4 cup barbecue sauce and 1 tablespoon cider vinegar. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the barbecue sauce mixture, and set aside.
- Place pork on grill rack coated with cooking spray over high heat; grill 3 minutes, turning pork on all sides. Place pork over medium heat; grill 15 minutes, turning pork occasionally. Baste with 3 tablespoons barbecue sauce mixture; grill 5 minutes or until thermometer registers 160° (slightly pink), turning pork occasionally.
- Place pork on a platter; brush with reserved 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce mixture. Cover with foil; let stand 5 minutes.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.Cheryl Alters Jamison and Bill Jamison, Cooking Light
- Calories: 196
- Calories from fat: 21%
- Fat: 4.5g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 28.9g
- Carbohydrate: 8.4g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Cholesterol: 80mg
- Iron: 2.4mg
- Sodium: 566mg
- Calcium: 24mg