Photo: Mark Thomas; Styling: Andrea Steinberg
- 12 ounces penne or farfalle
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 12 ounces mild low-fat Cheddar, shredded (about 3 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 3 ounces diced smoked ham (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups crushed saltines (about 25)
- 1. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add pasta and cook until just tender, about 8 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- 2. Melt 3 Tbsp. butter in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Whisk in flour, mustard and 1/2 tsp. salt until smooth. Slowly whisk in milk and half-and-half and bring just to a simmer. Stir in cheese, a little at a time, until melted. Remove pan from heat and stir in peas, ham and pasta. Stir to coat with sauce.
- 3. Sprinkle cracker crumbs over top of pasta and dot with remaining 1 Tbsp. butter. Bake until bubbling, about 20 minutes.
- Calories: 613
- Fat: 23g
- Saturated fat: 12g
- Protein: 32g
- Carbohydrate: 72g
- Fiber: 5g
- Cholesterol: 63mg
- Sodium: 955mg