- 1 peeled eggplant, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 (8-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce, divided
- 2/3 cup (about 3 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Preheat broiler.
- Arrange the eggplant slices on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; broil 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat; add onion and next 4 ingredients (onion through mushrooms). Cover and cook 7 minutes or until tender, stirring mixture occasionally. Increase heat to medium-high; uncover and cook for 2 minutes or until liquid evaporates.
- Spread half of mushroom mixture in bottom of a 1 1/2-quart round baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange half of eggplant slices over mushroom mixture; sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Top with 1/2 cup tomato sauce and 1/3 cup mozzarella. Spread remaining mushroom mixture over mozzarella; top with remaining eggplant slices. Sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon pepper; top with remaining tomato sauce. Cover and bake at 375° for 1 hour. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup mozzarella and Parmesan. Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Let stand 10 minutes.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.Cooking Light
- Calories: 168
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 5.6g
- Saturated fat: 3.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 10.9g
- Carbohydrate: 21g
- Fiber: 6.1g
- Cholesterol: 16mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Sodium: 369mg
- Calcium: 236mg