Be the first to rate it
- 2 1/4 cups apple cider, divided
- 2 1/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon stick margarine or butter
- 3 cups sliced peeled cooking apple (such as Braeburn, Rome, or McIntosh)
- Cooking spray
- 2 1/2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup stick margarine or butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1 (8-ounce) block fat-free cream cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Bring 2 cups cider to a boil in a large, heavy saucepan over high heat. Cook until reduced to 1/2 cup (about 20 minutes). Reduce heat to medium-high; stir in 1/2 cup granulated sugar. Cook 5 minutes or until sugar dissolves and cider is thick and dark-colored, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cool 1 minute. Stir in 1 tablespoon margarine. Stir in apple; cook 15 minutes over medium-high heat or until the liquid is absorbed, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; cool. (If apple mixture hardens, place it over low heat until softened).
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Coat a 12-cup Bundt pan with cooking spray; dust with breadcrumbs.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, 1/2 cup margarine, lemon rind, and cream cheese in a large bowl; beat at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended (about 5 minutes). Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Fold in apple mixture. Pour into prepared pan; bake at 325° for 1 1/2 hours or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Combine 1/4 cup cider, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 1/4 cup lemon juice, and vanilla; let stand until sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally. Cool cake in pan 5 minutes, and pierce with a wooden skewer in several places. Pour cider mixture over cake in pan, and let stand 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and cool completely on a wire rack. Sift powdered sugar over top of cake.
- Calories: 286
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Fat: 7.1g
- Saturated fat: 1.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2g
- Protein: 5.8g
- Carbohydrate: 50.1g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Cholesterol: 39mg
- Iron: 1.3mg
- Sodium: 237mg
- Calcium: 68mg