A web of sugary goodness awaits you in these Halloween cupcakes. Almond paste in the batter and a colorful almond glaze give these cakes a distinctive nutty taste that kids will love. Top with plastic or gummy spiders for a spooky touch.
Makes 1 1/2 dozen
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Place 18 paper liners in muffin cups.
2. Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar and almond paste; beat 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients. Gradually add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in vanilla. Spoon batter evenly into prepared muffin cups.
4. Bake 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes; remove cupcakes from pan, and cool completely on wire racks.
5. Spread Almond Glaze on tops of cupcakes, working with 2 cupcakes at a time. While icing is still soft, pipe a dot of black gel in center of cupcake. Pipe concentric circles around dot, and drag a toothpick from center to outer edge to resemble a spider web.