These bright green baked goods will give you all the delight of a doughnut without any of the regret afterwards. Baking makes these doughnuts delicate and soft without excess oil and the matcha has a range of health benefits.
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon matcha powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup plain non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Spray oil
- Glaze, see below (optional)
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons plain non-dairy milk
Preheat an oven to 375 degrees.
In a small bowl, mix ground flax seed with three tablespoons warm water. Set aside.
In separate bowls, mix all dry ingredients together (cake flour through sugar) and then mix wet ingredients (coconut oil through vanilla extract). Combine the two bowls and flax mixture. Stir together, being careful to not over mix the batter.
Carefully spoon (or use a pastry bag to pipe) batter into an oiled doughnut pan.
Bake 9-11 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Let sit for 5 minutes, then place doughnuts on a cooling rack. In a small bowl, mix glaze ingredients together. Once the doughnuts are cool, they can be finished by dipping in glaze or sprinkling powdered sugar atop.
Can't get enough matcha? Find out how to mix up the traditional green tea drink.