Oranges are something that I crave in the dead of winter. This lovely drink from the book Prairie Home Cooking
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 12-ounce can frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 12-ounce can frozen lemonaid concentrate
- grated rind of one orange
- 1 cup packed fresh mint leaves
- sparkling water, or lemon lime soda, for serving
1. Make a simple syrup: combine sugar with 2.5 cups of water in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 10 minutes. When done, syrup should be clear and sugar completely dissolved. Set aside to cool slightly. 2. Stir together simple syrup, orange juice, lemonaid, and grated orange rind in a large pitcher. Add mint leaves and stir well. Cover and let steep in refrigerator for at least 1 hour. 3. To serve, fill tall glasses with ice, pour in about 1 cup of drink mixture and add sparkling water or lemon-lime soda to taste.