It's hard to be bartender at your own party, between greeting, serving, and other party duties. But handing guests a festive cocktail as they arrive is a fun way to start the evening, and the secret is to make it ahead of time.
On a recent trip to New York City, I asked the bartenders at my favorite restaurant and bar Gramercy Tavern, for a festive summertime cocktail. (Gramercy Tavern is known for their fabulous seasonal cocktails that use fresh fruits and herbs; check out their cocktail book Mix Shake Stir for more than 100 tempting recipes.) Their answer: the rum, pineapple, and strawberry Pineapple Pain Killer. Pineapple and strawberries are a perfect match, and I can't think of a better way to kick off a summer party. One tip: be sure to start making the Pineapple-infused Rum three days in advance!
Pineapple Pain Killer
- ½ fresh pineapple
- 1 liter Cruzan Rum (or your favorite white rum)
- 2 cups lemonade
- ½ cup Strawberry Liqueur (Crème de Fraise; I like Joseph Cartron brand)
- 4 pints fresh strawberries
For the Pineapple-infused Rum:
- Peel, core, and cut one pineapple in half. Chop into 1-inch cubes.
- Place the cut pineapple in a large container and fill it with 1 liter of Cruzan Rum. Cover, refrigerate, and let macerate for 3 days and then strain through a sieve.
- In a sealed container combine 4 cups of the strained Pineapple-infused Rum, the lemonade, and the strawberry liquor. Stir to combine and refrigerate.
- For each cocktail, pour 3½ ounces of the rum mixture into a shaker along with 3 strawberries. Shake and pour into a rocks glass without straining.